COACHING POSITION AVAILABLE – MOUNT SAINT VINCENT UNIVERSITY
HEAD COACH – MEN’S SOCCER
The Department of Athletics and Recreation at Mount Saint Vincent University (MSVU) is currently accepting applications for the part-time position of Men’s Soccer Head Coach. MSVU is a member of the Atlantic Collegiate Athletic Association (ACAA) and Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA).
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the incumbent is responsible for providing a positive student athlete experience within the framework of the Mount Mystics varsity program, which enshrines the values of education, leadership and respect. The Head Coach will be responsible for providing leadership in the planning and development of an established intercollegiate soccer program. The position involves all aspects of the program’s operation and administration, including, but not limited to, coaching, recruiting, promoting academic progress of student athletes, team selection, development, direction and monitoring of appropriate program support personnel (assistant coach(es) and team manager etc.), program and budget planning, monitoring, review, and fundraising. The Coach will be expected to accomplish these tasks while respecting the values of Fair Play in Sport and working in a multi-sport program in an educational institution.
• Promote the ethical values of the Mount Mystics Athletics Program.
• Promote and support student-athlete academic success through the Mystics Academic Success Program.
• Conducting of try-outs and selection of team members.
• Preparing and directing practice sessions.
• Development of an annual training program.
• Supervision of the team in competition.
• Participate in the development of regular season and non-conference schedules.
• Attend league and MSVU coaches’ meetings and other league functions as required.
• Contribute to the personal, academic and athletic development of the student-athletes.
• Develop a recruiting program which will identify prospective student-athletes for MSVU.
• Coordinate team fundraising activities in conjunction with the Athletics Department.
• Liaise with the Athletics Department regarding all aspects of the program.
• Complete understanding and compliance of all ACAA and CCAA rules and regulations
• University or Post-Secondary education preferred.
Qualifications and required experience:
- Canada Soccer B License (or minimum License C with the intention to complete B License)
- Minimum of three years coaching in a Post-Secondary institution or similar experience
- Head Coach experience is preferred.
- Strong communicational, motivational, and organizational skills.
- Capacity to interact in a positive manner with student athletes.
- Thorough knowledge of ACAA and CCAA soccer
- Criminal Record Check (dated within the last 6 months) will be required as a condition of employment
The incumbent is in a highly visible position and represents the university, acting as an ambassador of Mount Saint Vincent University by representing it in a positive manner to the media, general public, post secondary institutions, schools, and sport organizations.
Extensive travel is an integral part of the position, as is being responsible for all team personnel on the numerous trips, according to their ACAA/CCAA schedule.
The hours required to perform the responsibilities and duties effectively include a large number of evening and weekend hours. This time is not only required for student-athlete training and competition, but also recruiting, public representation, etc.
This position is responsible for abiding with all institutional and affiliated athletic association policies, rules and regulations concerning recruitment, financial aid, and student-athlete eligibility.
Application Deadline: Monday, February 7, 2022.
- A review of applications will begin immediately after the closing date.
- Applications will be accepted until a successful candidate has been found.
- For further information or to discuss this position please contact the Department of Athletics and Recreation at 902-457-6370.
Applicants should send their resume, cover letter and reference contacts to June Lumsden.
Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Athletics and Recreation, Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway, Halifax, NS B3M 2J6
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.