2021 Entry Level Referee Application and Course Information
If you are a Returning Referee, please click here to be redirected to the Returning Referee Registration and Courses page.
May 7, 2021 – Due to the extension of the Province-wide shutdown announced today until the end of May, all of the on-field in-person sessions have been postponed. The intent is to continue with the self-directed online theory portion of the Entry Level Referee Course with the hope that sport will resume this spring/summer. New dates for the on-field sessions will be posted once restrictions are announced that allow for in-person sessions to be held. Updates will be provided as information becomes available.
If you have not received your invitation to the Google Classroom, please check your spam/junk folder as all invites have been sent. If you do not have the invite, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 28, 2021 – Due to the NS Public Health Restrictions announced yesterday and the Province-wide shutdown, some of the on-field in-person sessions will need to be adjusted to a later date. The intent is to continue with the self-directed online theory portion of the Entry Level Referee Course with the hope that sport will be able to resume in the near future. Updates will be provided as information becomes available including new dates for any on-field in-person sessions that are affected by the shutdown.
April 17, 2021 – All invitations to the Entry Level Referee Courses have been sent. Below is the list of courses and when the invitations were sent:
Halifax – Adult Only – sent April 16
Halifax – sent April 16
Harbour East – sent April 16
Suburban – sent April 16
Cape Breton – sent April 17
South Shore (including South Shore Southwest) – sent April 17
Highland – sent April 17
Valley – sent April 17
April 30, 2021 Update: The Google Classroom invites for the self-directed online theory have been sent to all applicants who have processed their Entry Level Referee Course Confirmation registration and payment. Please check your spam/junk folder if your Google Classroom invitation is not in your inbox. If you have not received the invitation, please email email@example.com to indicate it has not been received.
Please note that you may be asked to set up a gmail email address to access the Google Classroom. For students who have a school “gnspes” account, this account is not able to be used for the SNS Entry Level Referee Course Google Classroom.
The Entry Level Referee Application has closed. If you are interested in the Entry Level Referee Course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as some regions may consider additional applicants.
- This is an application process. Due to limited available refereeing opportunities, not all applications will be accepted. If you are not accepted this year, we encourage you to apply again in 2022.
- There is no fee to apply.
- Applicants MUST apply to the Entry Level Referee Course in their home region. For example, if you live in the Valley you must apply for the Valley course.
- The minimum age to apply for an Entry Level Referee Course is 14 years of age. No exceptions can be made.
New for the 2021 Entry Level Referee Course:
- the course now consists of a self-directed online theory portion through Google Classroom as opposed to in-class sessions
- a virtual online session will be included for Laws 11 and 12
- there will be one or two on-field sessions depending on your Home Region
- Dates, Times and Locations TBD (approximate time frame is mid May to early June)
- Some Home Regions may have multiple locations for on-field sessions to accommodate their registrants based on geography
- On-field sessions for all Home Regions will be posted on this page once they are available
- an Audit Course has also been added for anyone interested in learning more about the Laws of the game such as coaches, club staff, players and parents. This includes the self-directed online theory portion of the course only and is for individuals not wishing to become a referee.
IF YOU HAVE REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY THROUGH DEMOSPHERE (CLUB PLAYER, 2019 ENTRY LEVEL REFEREE APPLICATION, ETC.), YOU HAVE A HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNT ALREADY. PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNT TO PROCESS AN ENTRY LEVEL REFEREE APPLICATION. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW YOUR EMAIL FOR YOUR EXISTING HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNT, PLEASE EMAIL email@example.com FOR ASSISTANCE.
Apply Early – New Selection Process:
- Applicants will be selected based on course space availability and requirements in your home region
- Applicants will be selected by April 15, 2021
- If your application is approved, you will receive an emailed invitation to the course
- Invitations are expected to be sent on April 16, 2021
- To complete your registration:
- accept the invitation to the course and complete the registration form
- process the initial $35 payment for the online theory portion (you must select Pay in Installments for this option)
- the remaining $70 will be applied to the credit card used in the original transaction on May 14, 2021 (you must select Pay in Installments for this option)
- Note: The Entry Level Referee Course can also be paid in full at the time of registration
The total cost of the Entry Level Referee Course is $105. The total course payment includes the 2021 Referee Registration Fee and all course materials.
Your 2021 Referee Registration will expire on March 31, 2022.
The total cost for the Audit Course is $35. The Audit Course is only for individuals wanting to learn more about the Laws of the game and not wishing to become a referee.
Online payments are preferred as the Soccer Nova Scotia Offices are currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. If you are unable to make an online payment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternate payment arrangements.
If you have any questions regarding the Entry Level Referee Application, Courses, etc., please email email@example.com.
Entry Level Referee Course – On-field Sessions
All on-field sessions have been postponed due to the extension of the Province-wide shutdown. New dates for the on-field sessions will be posted once restrictions are announced that allow for in-person sessions to be held.